Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Anger and Efficacy

“I wanted it done yesterday” my new boss snarls over the phone as he coerces another trade into completing their work.  My nerves shutter every time he is angry.  Even though his aggression is not directed towards me, I fear it might be in the future.  As I would soon learn, this was certainly the desired effect.
Anger is usually perceived as a negative human emotion in most circles. Acts of aggression and wielding of power are typically frowned upon.  Excuses are often made when someone in a position of authority actually puts their power to use in an aggressive way.
Not at my workplace. Public acts of anger are ubiquitous in the construction world and they serve a specific purpose. When one of my co-workers becomes angry with someone and lashes out, they often retell the story numerous times as an ostentatious display of bravado and self appointed authority.  Of course, this story is often exaggerated in order to instil a small amount of fear in the listener. This is one way respect can be earned on a jobsite and is not unlike acts of aggression and violence in more severe environments. The message is clear: don’t mess with me or I’ll turn on you too.  It is a reputation in the making.  At times, it can also be difficult to carry out one’s work unless this sort of reputation remains intact.   
On the contrary, the style of communication I had learned while studying literature at university was highly ineffective.  I made use of subtleties when making requests of other workers rather than giving directive orders. I made suggestions by asking questions and opening up a dialogue rather than giving closed ended demands.  To my surprise, a gentle word could sometimes bring wrath rather than turn it away.  This was confusing for me but it was clear that I must learn to speak a new language.
Words can mean different things in different environments. This is also known as genre theory, but I never thought it would be of any relevance while I was wearing a tool belt.  I found that being shouted at by a construction worker is the equivalent to a university professor’s quiet condescension.   An angry dispute that occurs face to face is the comparable to water cooler talk that transpires in the office.  You don’t usually have to guess what people at my workplace think of you.   Acts of aggression can be found in any work environment whether or not they contain expletives or a shouting voice. Once I understood this, the aggression was not so offensive.
I specifically remember in one instance when a co-worker’s anger was directed at me and I reacted by imagining that this person was talking in a calm voice. His red-faced declarations were transformed as they passed through my mind − translated into a more familiar tongue.  It was in this way I could accept the intended message rather than feeling overwhelmed.  Statements were barked back and forth as we sorted out our differences and, satisfied − we both moved on.

3 comments:

  1. Very nicely written editorial...effective communication is so vital, and its cool to hear about your perspective from a construction standpoint...lookin forward to the next entry, keep up the good work!

    Mat

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - hammer and nails, social theory, expletives, genre theory, red faces and professorial condescention. Juxtapositions like this are rare. It's usually one or the other for most writers. You've found an idiosyncratic niche. Bravo!

    Dr. Ruth

    ReplyDelete